Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Baked Mac & Cheese

I first made this while spending part of the winter in Florida. We were tempted by the gooey mac & cheese in the Whole Foods prepared food section, but I convinced my husband that I can make the same dish at home, using ingredients I felt comfortable eating.


I used the recipe here as a base but made some substitutions.

I eliminated the butter.
I use 1% milk
For cheese I combine low fat jalapeno muenster, low fat sharp cheddar, and low fat dill havarti.

The result is crispy on top and gooey in the middle.




(What was left of the finished product)

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - that's like the best and most fun combo of cheeses ever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! One of my favorite comfort foods.

    http://seejaneworkplaylive.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum yum mac n cheese is my all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow YUM.
    Yes yes yes PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Fabulous !! yum Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I love mac & cheese and this seems so much healthier! Plus, you get great calcium. ;)

    I am making this dish this weekend!
    Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drooling! I'm so hungry right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummmmm...yeaaa, that looks ridique! I'm gonna try it with jalapeno cheeza. YUMSVILLE.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm one of Annie's friends in DC! Saw this yesterday, made it for dinner - YUM!! Thanks for the recipe! Great blog ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely thoughts xx Nikki

With Love, Nikki